Thursday 8 November 2012

Sweaters Everywhere!

So, I'm not going to lie. I have no idea where I'm going with this post. I guess you could say that I woke up this morning and just had a dying urge to talk about sweaters (lol, that sounds even more ridiculous written down, as it did in my head)... So... yeah! Enjoy... (Okay, I'm being ridiculously awkward today).

Some of my favourite sweaters!
There is just something so versatile about the sweater. It can be worn with skirts, or trousers, or shorts. It can be worn with leggings; and if it is long enough, it can even be worn as a dress.There really aren't that many clothing items that can be paired with absolutely anything and still look really good. They also keep you warm! This, frankly just adds to their versatility and if you live in a country like England, where we spend three quarters of the year in 'below-10 degrees celsius' temperatures, it is sort of an important factor when choosing clothes.

Next, there's also the comfort factor. During the autumnal months, there is nothing more cozy than wearing an oversized sweater with leggings and boots. And while that particular outfit might not always look like it took a lot of time and effort and is really well put together, it will still look cute, and you'll be extremely comfortable!

So, you might have realised that I have somewhat of an unhealthy obsession over sweaters, lately; and I'm not going to lie, I've literally felt the need to buy a new sweater, every time i've seen one I liked, so basically every week. Yeah, I know. Not good. Well, I blame pop culture. With pictures all over tumbler of girl wearing sweaters and looking amazing, and makeup gurus on youtube, who are my age, talking about their look for sweaters in silly youtube tags that I sometimes watch, (e.g. the I love Fall tag) can you really blame me? I always like to believe that I don't let other people's opinions influence my own because I strongly believe in being an individual with your own thoughts and beliefs. However, the reality is that other people's opinions influence my own decisions all the time- and unless you live under a rock, it's quite frankly impossible not to be influenced by pop culture; because the whole point of it is that it is what is popular in our current culture.  Well, at least that is how it seems at my current age. Maybe when I'm older, I'll be able to let go of following trends, even if I do it subconsciously, most of the time, and become my own unique person.

 Well, there's my rant of the day done. I knew it was a good idea to talk about sweaters! As you can see, somewhere along the line, I stopped talking about sweaters and started talking about my views on pop culture and how it leads people to sometimes make decisions that they wouldn't have made in other circumstances. That's right guys. I'm not just talking about buying a lot of sweaters, which you don't necessarily need. I'm talking about how young people will drink and smoke, or take drugs, due to what they hear in songs or what they see in movies.

Okay, maybe that's a little harsh ;)
For example, A lot of young people seem to think that if they're at a party, they have to drink, especially if everyone else is drinking, and this stems from young people seeing what is supposedly cool in movies and television, and feeling the need to do the same. Now, I'm not going to lie, in the past  I have been peer pressured into drinking at a party, while I didn't really want to. And while teachers and parents might sometimes over-exaggerate how awful peer pressure is,it can lead people to do stupid things. Now, I would never let anyone push me to do anything more than drink one glass of alcohol at a party, where I then feel that I have satisfied their need to force me to drink. However, I'm only 15. Should I even be drinking at parties? That was a rhetorical question, but the answer is... Probably not. I frankly think that controlling issues like these, would be a lot easier if people stopped making it seem like the cool thing to do within pop culture.

Kajsa x

1 comment:

  1. I found this lovely skirt at the mall, it was definitely a lot more than what I was looking to spend. Who cares, if it looks good, you gotta make space in your closet. I needed something to pair with so I started searching for Affordable crop tops online for women ... Found this beautiful white top which is gonna look perfect with my Arctic blue skirt :) yay !

    ReplyDelete