Tuesday 31 July 2012

The Lazy Girl's Guide to Packing

Well, a few days ago, I came to you all with a post about the difficulties and hardships of packing. And while I do really really hate packing, I am not a damsel in distress. And so, today I want to talk about how exactly to master the challenge, that is packing.

Me, writing my plan...
1. Plan

It is so easy to get overwhelmed when packing. The easiest way to stop this from occurring, is by planning. Make a list of everything you will need to bring, which you can check items off of as you pack. Go as far as to plan out what you are going to wear each day if it will help you. Just make sure that you know exactly what you need to bring, even before you start packing. 

2. Know your destination

Don't bother looking at guide books, but do check the weather forecast. You can then pack accordingly. Oh, and if, for example, your destination is cold and it's the middle of winter, don't bother packing shorts and skirts. You'll just be wasting space. It is good to be prepared, but sometimes that preparation can lead to wishful thinking and unrealism.

I think I'm doing pretty well on my packing, so far.
3. Work your clothes

Overpacking is always the worst thing you can do. (I once heard someone say that you should always lay out everything you want to pack, and then pack half of it). The best way to avoid overpacking, is to make sure that every item of clothing you pack can go with multiple outfits. That way, you can take less clothes and you will be less tempted to overpack.

4. Pack for where you're going, not where you wish you were going!

This links back to what I said before about packing and wishful thinking. It is so easy to pack for a holiday you wish you were going on, instead of a holiday you are actually going on. I am excellent at doing this, and I waste a lot of space, packing clothes that I am unlikely to wear. This being said, do pack to the requirements of your holiday. If you are going to be attending some formal event, then bring  a nice dress. However, don't bring four fancy dresses, if you are only going to one event


And finally... Don't forget to leave room for any purchases you make while on holiday!

And that's basically all you need to know. Packing can be easy if you just tackle it in the right way. A lot of being good at packing is down to good organisation skills and planning. Oh, and resisting the temptation to bring your entire wardrobe! ;)

Kajsa x  

No comments:

Post a Comment